Sunday, June 29, 2014

Meet Jessica J.!



We would like to take a little time to connect with our USA Cheerleader fans by introducing ourselves! 

Our first featured Cheerleader is 
Jessica J.:



Birth Place: Alexandria, Louisiana
  
Current Location: Laurel, Maryland

Years on the Squad: 1 year

Prior Cheerleading/Dance experience: 
Reservoir High School Varsity Cheerleading, 3 years 
Reservoir High School Dance Company, 1 year
Operation Dance New Orleans Dance Team, 2 years
Washington Eagles Cheerleaders, 1 year

College: 
Louisiana State University, Bachelor of Science. 
Howard University, Master of Social Work 

Occupation: Licensed General Social Worker (LGSW) at Episcopal Center for Children 

Career Goal: I have just recently graduated with my MSW and completed the testing to receive my General Social Work License. My ultimate goal is to complete my supervision hours and receive my clinical social work license to continue doing therapy and working in the mental health field.

Lifetime Goal: To be a great wife, mother, career woman and be able to enjoy my life. As well as doing my duty to give back to our community, and specifically our nation’s military.

Hobbies: Crafting, scrapbooking, watching football, cheerleading, dance, playing piano, and drawing/art.

Pets: Ace the long haired Chihuahua

Most memorable moment as a USA Cheerleader: Walking in the Veterans Day parade in New York City was my most memorable moment as a USA Cheerleader. With my birthday being Nov. 11th (veterans day), and being such a supporter of the military, it has always been a special day for me. Being able to do my part to show support for our veterans, in New York, and on my birthday, it was just all around amazing!! Such a great experience to see the faces of our Veterans enjoying the event!

Favorite TV Show: Law and Order SVU, Army Wives, True Blood

Favorite Movie: Transformers 1, 2, 3, & 4

Favorite Book: Harry Potter Series, Mortal Instruments Series, Hunger Games Trilogy

Favorite Restaurant: Texas de Brazil

Favorite Place to Vacation: Bahamas, Cancun, Florida

Someday I would love to visit: Japan!!

Words to live by/favorite quote: Just to always be yourself!

Describe your personal style: Laid back. I feel so comfortable in sweats and t-shirts anything to lounge around in. But when the occasion calls for it, I love to get all dressed up as well.

Favorite sport to play: Soccer

Favorite time of year: Fall, because it’s football season!!

Fun facts: Most people don’t know that I was a tomboy growing up who played soccer and did karate until high school.

On the contrary, I’m also a late blooming beauty pageant queen. I started at age 16. I competed in Miss Maryland Teen USA 2006 as my first pageant and placed in the Top 15 out of 150 contestants. I've held the titles of Miss Baker Buffalo Festival Rose Queen XVII, Miss Liberty Belle, and Miss Armed Forces 2011. My most memorable experience was traveling for the year as Miss Armed Forces. I attended various events throughout Louisiana, representing all 5 branches of the US Armed Forces and working with the Mayor of Lake Charles’ Armed Forces Commission. It was amazing to meet so many veterans and current service members, and to hear their stories and experiences. 

 Reason I choose to volunteer my time to USA Cheerleaders: Because supporting the military is something very near and dear to my heart. With my dad being an Air Force veteran, multiple family members who are veterans and still serving, and a fiancé who is active duty Army, I strongly advocate for our military. I hope to some day be able to use my career to help military members and their families in the mental health field. 


No comments:

Post a Comment